Am I Eligible to Apply?

Please check only the box(es) that are applicable and true for you. Then click the "check eligibility" box below to see if you are eligible to apply for one of our fellowship awards.

I am pursuing a Ph.D.
Fellowship is limited to Ph.D. scholars only. All other doctoral degrees programs are ineligible, including D.B.A., D.D.S., D.N.P., D.P.T., D.V.M., Ed.D., J.D., M.D., PharmD., etc.
I am a U.S. Citizen or have permanent U.S. residency.
  I am applying to one or more of the participating institutions in one or more of the participating states AND meet eligibility criteria listed in one or more of the 3 bullets below:
Georgia, Maryland, South Carolina, and Virginia require in-state residency status. I am applying to a participating institution(s) in Georgia, Maryland, South Carolina, or Virginia, and I will submit verification from the university of in-state residency status—not the same as "in-state tuition status" granted to some out-of-state residents.
Arkansas, Alabama, and Kentucky consider out-of-state applicants only after giving first consideration to in-state applicants. I am applying to a participating institution(s) in Arkansas, Alabama, or Kentucky.
West Virginia regard in-state and out-of-state applicants equally. I am applying to a participating institution in West Virginia.
  Please Note:
  Please note that Kentucky and Maryland only make Dissertation Awards (one year award). The Dissertation Award is for scholars who've completed coursework, passed comprehensive exams, and had the dissertation prospectus approved. These states don't make Doctoral Awards.
  Louisiana participates in the SREB program, but awards are determined at the university level. Therefore applicants interested in inquiring about eligibility in Louisiana should contact the graduate dean of the university. Louisiana scholars aren't eligible through this application portal.
  If your institution is not in Alabama, Arkansas, Georgia, Kentucky, Maryland, South Carolina, Virginia, or West Virginia, then you don't apply here. You can check to see if your institution is already a partner by going to If it is listed, contact the graduate dean at your university to find out how to be a part of the SREB program. If your institution isn't listed, email Monique Waddell at to find out how you can encourage your institution to partner.